Sunday, April 27, 2008

Mia's Tex- Mex

Mia's Tex-Mex - Dallas, Texas - February 19, 2008

The GOOD:
First, my wife and I ordered a cup of tortilla soup as an appetizer. The base of the tortilla soup is a very much, homemade chicken broth. This broth is what makes this the best tortilla soup that I have sampled at any restaurant. The broth actually reminds of my chicken soup broth my mom used to make growing up as a cold remedy. Then, I ordered my usual brisket taco dinner plate with flour tortillas instead of the more traditional corn (my wife orders the same exact plate). I order the flour because the cooks will actually grill the outside of the tacos to slightly crisp them up similar to a quesadilla. The taco filling is very juicy, shredded brisket meat that cozies up to proportionate amount of monterrey jack cheese. The tacos are topped with grilled onions and poblano peppers that have been cut into thin strips. The plate includes a side of lettuce, tomatoes, grated cheddar cheese and avocado slices for topping your taco. The fresh avocado slices are the perfect match for the brisket. Mia's also serves up an incredible Tex-Mex Au Jus just for your brisket tacos. This gravy can either be poured into each taco or, dipped into as you go. Although, I consider myself a salsa connoisseur and aficionado, I do not put any of the house salsa on the brisket taco, it just doesn't need it.

The BAD: Mia's does not have draft beer...only bottles (they do have one of the best frozen (and very potent) margaritas I have ever had, though.)

The UGLY: Mia's is located in Dallas, TX - not good since I live in the Fort Worth area and typically do not frequent Dallas. I must admit I have taken the family to Dallas for the sole purpose of eating at Mia's; that fact alone says a lot about this dining establishment and their brisket tacos.

The Rating:
5 out 5 Salsa Bowls

No comments: